Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Every state now provides such civil protection orders to victims of domestic violence, and they are considered a basic tool in shielding victims from their batterers.’
- ‘For example, if the batterer tells the victim that she will only receive financial and emotional support if she remains in the relationship, then the victim may decide to stay in the abusive relationship.’
- ‘For example, after an abusive incident, the batterer may give the victim gifts, treat the victim kindly, show more affection, and even compliment the victim.’
- ‘Such a statement can only lend support to those who would accuse her of blaming victims and excusing batterers.’
- ‘The state sent him to a batterers ' program in 1994, but he quit.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.