One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player, especially in cricket, who is batting or whose chief skill is in batting.
- ‘It would be extremely unfair to start messing around with the batsmen after one game.’
- ‘I had plenty of faith in my bowlers to get the batsmen out without sledging them.’
- ‘The lack of patience from their batsmen has often been the bane of Bangladesh's cricket team.’
- ‘What is good for cricket is that great bowlers should be allowed to bowl to great batsmen.’
- ‘Over the last three years he's pretty much been the leading batsman in world cricket.’
- ‘It's the first time a batsman has outscored the opposition in each innings of a match.’
- ‘I have been working hard on my batting and I want to contribute not just as a bowler but also as a batsman.’
- ‘We got a lot out of that game as far as batsmen getting time in the middle and the bowlers having a good work-out.’
- ‘The Indians should target the first four batsmen and keep the pressure on the rest of the batting.’
- ‘The batsmen are set for a less stressful few weeks, with Ponting encouraging them to put their feet up.’
- ‘He's not going to get wickets against the Aussie batsmen and he's not going to make any runs.’
- ‘It was only at club and county level in England that he improved on his batting and became the batsman that he is today.’
- ‘On his day Brad is unquestionably one of the most attractive batsmen in Australian cricket.’
- ‘Inzy is a fine slip fielder and a substantial batsman, one of the world's best.’
- ‘If you bowl outside the line, most batsmen, once they've picked the line, are not going to play.’
- ‘As a batsman or bowler any player has to accomplish certain things to be in the team.’
- ‘But the vote goes to Andy Flower, the best batsman of the lot and a fine wicketkeeper.’
- ‘Both are batsmen of skill and determination, and their reputations are at stake.’
- ‘He swings the ball enough to trouble batsmen, but not enough to be a force when the pitch is slow and the ball is holding up.’
- ‘I used to rely on watching good batsmen and try and mould myself accordingly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.