One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A manned spherical chamber for deep-sea observation, lowered by cable from a ship.
- ‘Here we learn of William Beebe, who became famous in the 1920s for studying the ocean in a bathysphere.’
- ‘Spiders were diving under water in air-filled diving bells long before man invented the submarine or the bathysphere.’
- ‘The biggest difference between a bathysphere and a bathyscaphe is that the bathysphere is heavier than water and the bathyscaphe is lighter.’
- ‘Fish biologists descend in bathyspheres and submarines to the deepest oceanic canyon, and trawlers scrape up odd saltwater nematodes and mollusks from the bottom sediments.’
- ‘Fieldwork costs, for instance, range from plant presses to bathyspheres; hand lenses to DNA probes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.