One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A manned spherical chamber for deep-sea observation, lowered by cable from a ship.
- ‘Fieldwork costs, for instance, range from plant presses to bathyspheres; hand lenses to DNA probes.’
- ‘The biggest difference between a bathysphere and a bathyscaphe is that the bathysphere is heavier than water and the bathyscaphe is lighter.’
- ‘Spiders were diving under water in air-filled diving bells long before man invented the submarine or the bathysphere.’
- ‘Here we learn of William Beebe, who became famous in the 1920s for studying the ocean in a bathysphere.’
- ‘Fish biologists descend in bathyspheres and submarines to the deepest oceanic canyon, and trawlers scrape up odd saltwater nematodes and mollusks from the bottom sediments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.