Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The measurement of depth of water in oceans, seas, or lakes.
- ‘This technique has been especially useful in recognizing gradients related to environmental factors such as climate, bathymetry, vegetation, or substrate types.’
- ‘Measuring the relief of the ocean floor, expressed as the varying depth below sea level, is the chore known as bathymetry.’
- ‘The pre-eruption bathymetry shows a submarine extension of the Tar River valley.’
- ‘The reconstruction of the historical charts has revealed major changes in the evolution of the coastline and the associated bathymetry of the Inner Thermaikos Gulf.’
- ‘Each of those sections commences with an overview of the relevant oceans, oceanography, bathymetry, and meteorology.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek bathus ‘deep’ + -metry.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.