Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Bowers has participated in nine geophysical research cruises on which she has collected and processed a variety of information, including magnetic, seismic, bathymetric, and gravity data.’
- ‘The geomorphological and sedimentological evolution of the system is reconstructed for the last 150 years, on the basis of detailed analysis of historical bathymetric charts.’
- ‘Bathymetry is an arc coverage of prominent bathymetric contours in the Gulf basin water area.’
- ‘High-resolution bathymetric data and side-scan sonar surveys of pockmarks, depressions up to 300 m long, were obtained by using an autonomous underwater vehicle.’
- ‘In 2000, he completed a 40-year bathymetric compilation and topographic interpretation of the greater Indian Ocean, from the northernmost shores to Antarctica.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.