Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument used to measure the depth of water in seas or lakes.
- ‘Canadian industry is a leader in airborne laser bathymeters.’
- ‘Submersibles were equipped with special devices called bathymeters for taking water samples from the ocean bed.’
- ‘Samples were collected in 10-liter plastic bathymeters at horizons of 0, 5, 10, 20, 30, 50m. Samples from each horizon were poured into two transparent and two dark 250 ml bottles with the addition of 1 ml NaHCO 3 of 2 microcurie activity.’
- ‘He helped to build, test, and use airborne remote sensing instruments including a multichannel ocean color sensor, a laser oil fluorosensor, and a laser bathymeter.’
- ‘Not until the late 1990s, when the National Science Foundation equipped nuclear submarines with swath bathymeters, was it possible to map the floor of the Arctic Ocean beneath the ice to any significant degree for research purposes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.