Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
bathtub, tub, hot tubView synonyms
- ‘Some people fill their bathtubs with cold water, plop their heads on plastic bath pillows and snooze.’
- ‘She made herself a sandwich while she readied the bathtub for a long hot bath with scented candles.’
- ‘Every single one of us has running water - running hot water - and bathtubs and indoor toilets to put the water into.’
- ‘Minerva has noticed a growing enthusiasm for using infant bath seats in adult bathtubs.’
- ‘These three white bathtubs and the white whirlpool were delivered to the site and installed sometime in January or February.’
- ‘Residents were storing water supplies in bathtubs and buckets ahead of the expected three-day drought.’
- ‘Bathroom floors are built to bear the weight of a standard bathtub not whirlpool spa baths.’
- ‘To the right of the closet was a roomy bathroom, including a Jacuzzi bathtub.’
- ‘I was in the bathtub and I was using the whirlpool that my father used to swirl the water around.’
- ‘She walked over to the tile bathtub, more like a jacuzzi it was so big, and turned on the water, waiting for it to get warm.’
- ‘Eventually, Angela's taken to a bathtub for a warm, invigorating bath.’
- ‘We were shivering so much that we decided to go upstairs and put very hot water into the bathtub.’
- ‘To remove non slip appliques and strips from bathtubs, saturate a cloth or sponge and squeeze hot vinegar over decals.’
- ‘The bathtubs are basically like huge swimming pools.’
- ‘First, she took a long bath in a bathtub filled with warm water and petals of dark red roses.’
- ‘Forty of the additional rooms will be suites, with amenities such as whirlpool-style bathtubs and free admission to the upscale Belterra spa and exercise facilities.’
- ‘In 1940, only 55 percent of Americans had hot water, flush toilets and bathtubs or showers.’
- ‘There are three bathrooms, all of them well equipped with their own showers and Jacuzzis and huge bathtubs that made Emmy want to take a bath right there and then.’
- ‘Drop-in bathtubs made specifically for bathtub enclosures are the best to build around, but whirlpool bathtubs are also great for building enclosures around.’
- ‘He said he gave up import-export business in 1993 to embark on the production of bathtubs, swimming pools and boats because he thought a construction boom was looming for Vietnam.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.