One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Denoting a subdivision of the Jurassic period, of which the formations near the English city of Bath are typical.‘marine limestones of Bathonian to Kimmeridgian age’
- ‘The snake lived during the Bathonian stage of the Middle Jurassic.’
- ‘In the fort section area, the delegates said the area represents sediments of the Bathonian age.’
- ‘From Late Triassic to Bathonian time, evolution of the southern tract appears to have differed from that of its northern counterpart.’
- ‘Bathonian uplift may be attributed to collision of the Moesian block with Eurasia.’
- ‘Lower Bathonian sediments were either never deposited or were eroded away.’
2Relating to or characteristic of the English city of Bath or its inhabitants.‘a notable Bathonian member of the community’
- ‘The annual Christmas lights switch-on has been a favourite of Bathonian children and their families since the event was first held 23 years ago.’
- ‘The annual lecture echoes the concerns of a notable Bathonian member of the Catholic community.’
1the BathonianThe Bathonian period or the system of rocks deposited during it.‘the end of the Bathonian was characterized by basaltic volcanism’
- ‘These fossils cover a period of around 30 million years, from the Sinemurian to the Bathonian.’
- ‘The Bathonian was marked by a regression and significant peat accumulation in western Georgia’
- ‘This volcanism ceased abruptly in the Bathonian.’
- ‘The late Aalenian until the end of the Bathonian was characterized by basaltic volcanism.’
- ‘The Bathonian is represented by 150m of interbedded limestone and shale.’
2An inhabitant of the English city of Bath.‘his mother was a Bathonian’
- ‘Bathonians were well supplied with churches.’
- ‘The Bathonian has joined his fourth golf club since leaving the world of commerce.’
- ‘Bathonians can look forward to another mostly dry day.’
- ‘We're here to help keep Bathonians in the know about what's going on in their city.’
- ‘If you're a true Bathonian, make sure you've registered for the card allowing you free access to the Roman Baths.’
Mid 18th century (in Bathonian (sense 2 of the adjective)): from Bathonia Latinized name of Bath in England + -an.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.