One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Denoting a subdivision of the Jurassic period, of which the formations near the English city of Bath are typical.‘marine limestones of Bathonian to Kimmeridgian age’
- ‘From Late Triassic to Bathonian time, evolution of the southern tract appears to have differed from that of its northern counterpart.’
- ‘Bathonian uplift may be attributed to collision of the Moesian block with Eurasia.’
- ‘The snake lived during the Bathonian stage of the Middle Jurassic.’
- ‘Lower Bathonian sediments were either never deposited or were eroded away.’
- ‘In the fort section area, the delegates said the area represents sediments of the Bathonian age.’
2Relating to or characteristic of the English city of Bath or its inhabitants.‘a notable Bathonian member of the community’
- ‘The annual lecture echoes the concerns of a notable Bathonian member of the Catholic community.’
- ‘The annual Christmas lights switch-on has been a favourite of Bathonian children and their families since the event was first held 23 years ago.’
1the BathonianThe Bathonian period or the system of rocks deposited during it.‘the end of the Bathonian was characterized by basaltic volcanism’
- ‘The late Aalenian until the end of the Bathonian was characterized by basaltic volcanism.’
- ‘This volcanism ceased abruptly in the Bathonian.’
- ‘The Bathonian was marked by a regression and significant peat accumulation in western Georgia’
- ‘These fossils cover a period of around 30 million years, from the Sinemurian to the Bathonian.’
- ‘The Bathonian is represented by 150m of interbedded limestone and shale.’
2An inhabitant of the English city of Bath.‘his mother was a Bathonian’
- ‘Bathonians can look forward to another mostly dry day.’
- ‘We're here to help keep Bathonians in the know about what's going on in their city.’
- ‘Bathonians were well supplied with churches.’
- ‘The Bathonian has joined his fourth golf club since leaving the world of commerce.’
- ‘If you're a true Bathonian, make sure you've registered for the card allowing you free access to the Roman Baths.’
Mid 18th century (in Bathonian (sense 2 of the adjective)): from Bathonia Latinized name of Bath in England + -an.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.