One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a shift of the absorption spectrum of a compound towards longer wavelengths.
- ‘In particular, the dianion absorption spectrum exhibits a substantial bathochromic shift and a reduction in bandwidth in solvent-water mixtures containing aprotic solvents as the hydrogen-bonding environment is decreased.’
- ‘The physical origins of this bathochromic shift are described in detail in molecular spectroscopy texts.’
- ‘Furthermore, the substitution reactions resulted in small bathochromic shifts in the absorption spectra.’
- ‘After photoisomerization, a bathochromic (red-shifted) intermediate, called K, forms in 3 ps.’
- ‘In the case of the model compound of tyrosine NAYA, a small bathochromic shift of 2 nm in the emission spectrum from dioxane to water was observed.’
Late 19th century: from Greek bathos ‘depth’ + khrōma ‘colour’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.