One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A fish of tropical and temperate seas with a flattened body that is round or almost triangular when viewed from above.
Family Ogcocephalidae: several genera and species
- ‘Fish life is also excellent, with an abundance of angelfish, butterflies and wrasse; unusual species like frogfish, ghost pipefish and juvenile batfish are also encountered on occasion.’
- ‘When a small fish is tempted and approaches, the batfish opens its mouth and quickly sucks in the unsuspecting victim.’
- ‘There is a low pinnacle at the entrance, together with several table corals where several groups of large batfish and schools of barracuda and jacks cruise in the current.’
- ‘It is a relative easy, shallow dive with a maximum depth of about 45 ft, with nice hard coral formation and friendly batfish and moray eels.’
- ‘There are busy cleaning stations along each metre of reef, some for surgeonfish, others for batfish, each seductively changing colour to attract the attention of the cleaning wrasses.’
- ‘As we were getting accustomed to the unusual topography, a pair of bottom-dwelling juvenile batfishes drifted lazily by.’
- ‘Shoals of batfish follow the turtles - you never see turtle excrement fouling the reef!’
- ‘We saw crabs, eels, batfish, unicornfish, pufferfish, boxfish, lionfish, squirrelfish, racoonfish, butterflyfish, parrotfish and angelfish, to name just a few.’
- ‘Large batfishes look at divers with much the same regard as divers look at them.’
- ‘At the stern I play tag with a cautious batfish but fail to get close.’
- ‘I was bored with photographing co-operative green turtles, so I turned to barracuda, batfish, groupers and a lone zebra lionfish.’
- ‘Schools of pelagics sweep by, reef sharks slink in the depths, and curious batfish shadow divers.’
- ‘As soon as I had grown accustomed to my borrowed equipment, I was greeted by a solitary batfish, one brown unicornfish, and a squadron of humphead parrotfish, which emerged from under the auspicious jetty in front of me.’
- ‘The legs (they're pectoral fins, really) allow batfish to crawl about the seafloor.’
- ‘The massive Iro has catwalks along most of its length - here batfish shelter in its shade’
- ‘There are mushroom and staghorn corals, tiger cowries and batfish.’
- ‘Large and small nudibranchs are everywhere, and batfish, barracuda, sweetlips and large groupers would follow us around.’
- ‘A baby Indian triggerfish is mothered along by a group of dusky batfish; beyond them, large rocks host parrotfish and wrasse, then drop off abruptly, bottoming at around 50m.’
- ‘On a typical dive you will see octopus, batfish, turtles, groupers, jacks, morays, barracuda, horse-eye jacks, angel-fish and rays.’
- ‘Reef life includes batfish, yellowfin tuna and teeming shoals of smaller fish, but divers might also encounter stingrays, turtles, sharks, groupers, snappers and whale sharks.’
2A deep-bodied, laterally compressed marine fish of the Indo-Pacific region, resembling an angelfish.
Genus Platax, family Ephippidae: several species
- ‘These include the flashlight fish in the Indo-Pacific, the rosy-lipped batfish of the Galapagos and Cocos islands, and unbelievably vividly coloured Spanish dancers.’
- ‘These are reminiscent of the batfish of the Indo-Pacific but much less brutal in the looks department.’
- ‘Soft corals sway with the current, while schools of striped and spotted groupers, angelfish, batfish and lionfish dart between them.’
- ‘But with less marine life - a school of batfish was the only highlight - I thought at the back of my mind that my return visit was far less thrilling.’
- ‘Unfortunately the visibility is a milky 5m, though this doesn't detract from the huge shoals of snapper and the angelfish, batfish and giant grouper that call this oasis home.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.