One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the same school or college class as another; a classmate.‘all his batchmates went on to take comfortable jobs in accounting’‘they used to be batchmates at St Jude until my sister changed schools’
- ‘She's just a batchmate and also made it to our volleyball team.’
- ‘One of the photographs is of the artist with his batchmates; another shows him guiding his own students around the caves of Ajantha, Ellora and Elephanta.’
- ‘The achievement is no mean task as Nipun has emerged the winner from among more than 200 of his batchmates.’
- ‘A student of the late 50s and early 60s, Bangara had a ‘homecoming’ experience meeting his batchmates, classmates and erstwhile gurus.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, he is the youngest in class and all his batchmates are older to him by at least 10 to 15 years.’
Early 20th century: from batch + mate.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.