Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A computer file containing a list of instructions to be carried out in turn.
- ‘To make life easier, a set of batch files (shell scripts) are provided so that you don't need to remember and type in all these parameters.’
- ‘I wrote a batch file to automate the process and shaved it down to 7 1/2 minutes.’
- ‘You could probably get away with a batch file that prints ‘system test passed’ for all I know.’
- ‘To make things simple, I have created batch files for the last five steps to facilitate the execution of these commands.’
- ‘Users first discovered it last spring, and even patched together a crude batch file which killed and restarted the ink-continent digitizer process.’
- ‘A techie friend of mine suggested that I write a simple batch file [program] so that my swap file is deleted every time I reboot the computer.’
- ‘I quickly ran the batch file so the screen was up.’
- ‘Computer-based responses can include running applications, batch files or scripts or blocking ports.’
- ‘If you want to make life really easy, just copy the following lines and paste them into a batch file, editing parameters as you see fit.’
- ‘If you need to update existing resources, or add new ones for several hundred files, you are more than likely going to want some way to implement this with a batch file.’
- ‘Another fix users have cobbled together is batch file which kills and restarts the tabtip.exe process.’
- ‘Codling explains that prior to the changeover, the company had an antiquated Cobol-based mainframe with a batch file exchange architecture.’
- ‘I found that the start menu contained a batch file called runme.bat AND a shortcut that pointed to the runme.bat file.’
- ‘You should've run a batch file and let it run overnight.’
- ‘Likewise, we will see much less e-mail, nightly batch files, and weekly inventory updates, but more direct, synchronous communication between applications and between people.’
- ‘In other words, you push one button or double-click one batch file, the tests begin, and you can go get lunch.’
- ‘Regularly clean out your cookie and temp folders (I have a batch file that does this every time I boot).’
- ‘Allow your suppliers to download this information, using EDI, XML, batch files, or whatever, so your suppliers can have that information immediately.’
- ‘Specifically, we are going to configure Samba to validate users and run our login batch file, provide file and print shares, and provide network-browsing services.’
- ‘Once that's done, right click the newly created batch file and choose edit.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.