One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the southern Caribbean) sweet potato.
- ‘A six-ounce bag of Terra Chips - taro, cassava, sweet potato, batata, and parsnip - cost this writer $4.79 at a New York-area supermarket - or about 8?’
- ‘Those batata wadas and sandwiches made our mouths water, show after show.’
- ‘Confusingly, the Spanish for the sweet potato is batata and the Italian patata.’
- ‘Magret duck breast came medium-rare and was dressed with a perfumed infusion of thyme, a delicate combination brought back to earth by a side of mashed batata, the white sweet potato of Patagonia.’
- ‘The kanda batata shaak (onion potato vegetable) was practically a daily feature and was occasionally replaced by reengan batata kanda shaak.’
Via Spanish from Taino.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.