Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A religious initiation ceremony for a Jewish girl aged twelve years and one day, regarded as the age of religious maturity.
- ‘The recipient must be an American boy or girl celebrating a religious rite: a first communion, confirmation, bar or bat mitzvah.’
- ‘For my bat mitzvah, I am expected to do a mitzvah project.’
- ‘His comments made me think of Jesselyn's bat mitzvah videotape, which her mother keeps.’
- ‘A bat mitzvah, the female equivalent of a bar mitzvah, is a Jewish coming of age ceremony for girls aged 12 and over.’
- ‘Yes, I have written before about the happy times of births, bar / bat mitzvahs and weddings.’
- ‘I need to lose at least 5-10 pounds for Jess' bat mitzvah.’
- ‘Scrubs are popular party favors at bar mitzvahs and bat mitzvahs, Murphy says, and college students tend to use them for theme parties.’
- ‘Hanging towards the back was the gorgeous dress I had worn for Sara's bat mitzvah, which reminded me that her birthday was coming up.’
- ‘I really had every intention of making wonderful memory books to commemorate my daughter's baby years, her first steps, teeth and report cards, her bat mitzvah, her rock band.’
- ‘We also considered going whitewater rafting - an idea that I ended up using for my bat mitzvah a few years later.’
- ‘I am using the articles as a study guide for my daughter's bat mitzvah in September.’
- ‘Bar and bat mitzvahs are typically celebrated with a festive meal, with the family and friends of the bar mitzvah boy or bat mitzvah girl on hand to celebrate their entrance into adulthood.’
- ‘The bar mitzvah (for boys) or bat mitzvah (for girls) is an important coming-of-age ceremony in Judaism.’
- ‘In the twentieth century, the bas or bat mitzvah has been introduced for young girls; however, this occurs more frequently in the Reform and Conservative groups than the Orthodox ones.’
- ‘Well, as I've stated many times, there's always a bat mitzvah.’
- ‘For example, baptisms, first communions, confirmations, bar and bat mitzvahs, weddings, funerals, and other rituals and rites of passage may be included.’
- ‘He spent the day in his native Long Island, N.Y., celebrating his daughter's bat mitzvah.’
- ‘However, it doesn't mean that motivators can't bring something extra to a celebration that is already focused on the specialness of the occasion, be it a wedding, bar / bat mitzvah, or anything like that.’
- ‘The Jewish ceremony of bat mitzvah marks the passage of a young girl into adulthood after a period of prescribed religious instruction.’
- ‘Fifteeen or so years after the wedding, the worry (if Jewish or mixed) is bar / bat mitzvah on a budget.’
- 1.1 A girl undergoing the bat mitzvah ceremony.
- ‘By the time she became a Bat Mitzvah, she was so used to studying that she looked for another class.’
- ‘This year, our two oldest children, ages 13 and 12, became bar and bat mitzvah.’
- ‘According to Jewish Law, every Jewish girl becomes a bat mitzvah at age 12.’
- ‘The subject came up by the bat mitzvah, herself, so no one could change the subject.’
- ‘No, the child becomes bar or bat mitzvah, literally one who is of the obligations.’
From Hebrew baṯ miṣwāh ‘daughter of commandment’, suggested by bar mitzvah.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.