One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be very successful; achieve perfection.‘with tortellini in brodo, I batted a thousand—both kids had seconds’
- ‘You know, John Kerry is apparently batting a thousand in these debates, at least as far as our latest poll is concerned.’
- ‘Rarely does a film get everything right, but The Hit manages to bat a thousand in just about every category.’
- ‘To the believers who were present, Edward was clearly batting a thousand, and no price would have been too much to pay.’
- ‘On the whole, I give him a lot of points for trying to ask the right questions and can excuse him when he doesn't bat a thousand.’
- ‘And Mother Nature always bats last, and she always bats a thousand.’
- ‘But batting a thousand can mean good legal work or cherry picking opportunities.’
- ‘Voss knows he's batting a thousand with his marketing efforts with each new customer who walks in the door.’
- ‘And the market always bats last and it always bats a thousand.’
- ‘He batted a thousand for the Marine Corps and the United States.’
- ‘And right now, I don't think they are batting a thousand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.