Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A yellow to brown mineral consisting of a fluoride and carbonate of cerium and other rare earth metals.
- ‘The largest single deposit of rare earths is the bastnaesite deposit at Mountain Pass, San Bernnadino County in California.’
- ‘Bastnasite, which is sometimes spelled as bastnaesite, is one of a few rare earth carbonate minerals.’
- ‘A much larger, nonradioactive deposit of bastnaesite was found on adjoining land.’
- ‘A sample from Andakatany labeled ‘bastnaesite,’ turned out to be bastnasite- (Ce).’
- ‘This is one of only five localities for bastnaesite within New Mexico.’
Late 19th century: from Bastnäs, the name of a district in Västmanland, Sweden, + -ite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.