Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The lowest part or sequence of notes in a piece of music.
- ‘There are basslines that buzz and woof, balanced by choice eastern melodies, classical Spanish guitar and operatic vocals; but none of this is particularly original or strong.’
- ‘Thankfully, at least, the dynamics of the fluid rolling basslines keep your interest in the music - if your interest in the lyrics has died.’
- ‘The rhythms and basslines are smooth and inventive, never cliched.’
- ‘But the melodies and basslines are in the background.’
- ‘The songs shake along quite satisfyingly, as the two guitars rasp out post punk, alt-rock riffs set against solid pulsating basslines.’
- ‘The album opens with gentle acoustic guitar, coupled with plaintive vocals, which soon crashes into a rousing sing-along of a chorus, complete with fuzzy basslines and distorted guitars.’
- ‘The melodies and tunes are distinctly their own, the rhythms, the lyrics, the basslines.’
- ‘The funky basslines and swingy guitars make this song a bit special.’
- ‘The bassist helps define each song with super-duper basslines and the guitar interplay is quite good.’
- ‘It's a simple song that combines a on-the-verge-of-being-overdriven bassline with a simple rhythmic piano sample.’
- ‘So this is an attempt to use a more creative sound; although in truth it boils down to a big bassline and a drum beat.’
- ‘It's got a nice bit which is either a bassline or a guitar melody, I'm unsure which.’
- ‘Bassline, B-line, Heavy beat, call it what you like, the bassline is one of the sounds which brings music to life.’
- ‘The band had the audience on the edge as they played the bassline of the song for well over a minute before kicking into it with great effect!’
- ‘I mostly love the music, the jangly guitar intro and the cool bassline and the vocal melody.’
- ‘It all works together in a way that feels very natural - with the basslines and rhythms.’
- ‘Forlorn piano waltzes, blue basslines and fairytale xylophones combine to create a lonely, delicate soundscape.’
- ‘The melodies, chill-out vibes and booming basslines that made it accessible to the masses quickly became a cliche.’
- ‘Far from the soothing rolling basslines of the more popular trance movement, this is music that is chopped to its finest points.’
- ‘Musically, they stroll rather than rock, constructing songs round punchy guitar harmonics and placid basslines.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.