One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A child's wicker cradle.
cot, cradle, moses basket, carrycotView synonyms
- ‘Years ago, unwanted babies were traditionally placed in bassinets on the doorsteps of churches or hospitals.’
- ‘Relatively new on the market are three-sided infant bassinets, based on the design of a standard hospital bassinet, that can be attached to the mother's bed and locked in place.’
- ‘Put a bassinet, play yard, or crib next to your bed.’
- ‘Newborns are often in bassinets, which are only used for a short period.’
- ‘There is that same absolutely beautiful girl sitting in a well upholstered chair next to a bassinet.’
- ‘Some bassinets convert into a change table and most of them are portable, making them great for travel.’
- ‘Also, babies under a year don't really take up that much space other than their furniture (crib, bassinet, stoller, etc).’
- ‘The baby lies comfortably in a white bassinet, swathed in soft butter-colored pajamas and a thin cotton blanket.’
- ‘At night the baby's bedroom door will be closed to keep him out, but inevitably he's going to sneak in there during a late night feeding or crawl into the bassinet in the living room when we're not looking.’
- ‘Cribs, cradles and bassinets are traditionally woven from wickerwork.’
- ‘And no matter where she is sleeping or pretending to sleep, whether it be in our bed, on top of me, in a bassinet beside the bed, or in her crib all the way over in her own room, I am having to re-train my body to sleep.’
- ‘Well, why don't you just put her in the bassinet in the other room?’
- ‘The tall woman lifted the baby from his bassinet and sat down.’
- ‘For her, her son's life has gone by so fast: He was eight pounds when he was born, but he was so long that his feet were hitting the sides of his bassinet.’
- ‘There was the child, in his bassinet by the sofa.’
- ‘The decision to use a crib or a bassinet is one that many parents often wrestle with.’
- ‘These all-in-one systems have integrated car seats, strollers, and bassinets, which allow you to move your baby easily from car to stroller and back again.’
- ‘Also, for international flights, be sure to ask your booking agent about bassinets built into the bulkhead.’
- ‘You can use plastic ornaments and toys as your cake decoration, such as umbrellas, storks, bassinets, baby bottles, sports figure dells and newborn baby dolls.’
- ‘Hand-me-downs such as cribs, bassinets, strollers, high chairs, and clothes can help save time and money.’
Mid 19th century: from French, diminutive of bassin ‘basin’; compare with basinet.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.