Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
adjective & adverbNorth American
- another way of saying ass-backwards
- ‘However, I also feel that the Community Corporation is going about things in a ‘bassackwards ' way.’
- ‘You've got him all bassackwards, and it seems like you don't even care.’
- ‘Somehow, wearing a taboo word on your shirt is all right, as long as it's written in some way bassackwards.’
- ‘I live here now and there is bassackwards high country thinking all around.’
- ‘It seems the previous owners of the car must have had the hoses replaced and the mechanic must have put the hoses on there bassackwards.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.