Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The craft of basket-making.
- ‘Other crafts include textiles, leatherwork, basketry, and stained glass.’
- ‘Other handicrafts include woodcarving and basketry.’
- ‘The craft day will include classes in parchment work, decoupage, crochet, copper craft and basketry.’
- ‘I had always been fascinated with basketry and found basketry a means of doing sculpture.’
- ‘Unemployed people mostly revert to traditional economies such as fishing; gathering of wild fruits and vegetables; woodcarving; pottery; basketry, and iron forging.’
- 1.1Baskets collectively.
- ‘The Yavapai Indians have created some of the most beautiful basketry the world has ever seen, yet very little is recorded of their art.’
- ‘I went to the market and I was in heaven, what with all the ceramics and woodwork and basketry and textiles and silverwork and everything.’
- ‘The museum features Native American artifacts, such as basketry, pots and masks, as well as a fabulous realistic/romantic Western painting collection.’
- ‘Crafts, particularly basketry, along with woven hangings and printed textiles, are developed for the urban and tourist markets.’
- ‘Basketry, pots and beadwork jewelry were interspersed, lending diversity of colors and textures to the exhibit.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.