Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The drag-induced bending moments and stresses (computed on the basis of empirically determined stem dimensions and wind speeds) increased basipetally toward the base of the tree.’
- ‘Tree height, branch height, leaf position (numbered basipetally from the youngest, fully expanded leaf), and direction of the nearest canopy gap were noted.’
- ‘When the exposure time was extended to 60 min, a large amount of phosphorus was transported basipetally to the shoot from root sections located 80 mm from the root tip, where the xylem is completely mature.’
- ‘The number of rings of kernels from the base to the tip of the ear was counted and the apical ear region was defined as the fifth two nodal rings of fertilized florets, counting basipetally from the apex.’
- ‘The hairs are oriented acropetally, while in the proximal part of the sac they grow basipetally, i.e., oriented toward the lemma-sac interface.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.