One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A less prestigious dialect or variety of a particular language.Often contrasted with acrolect
regional language, local language, local tongue, local speech, local parlance, variety of languageView synonyms
- ‘Some like the basilect and some like the acrolect.’
- ‘Includes standard dialects, nonstandard dialects, idiolects (distinctive of an individual), acrolects (prestigious dialects), basilects (stigmatized dialects), mesolects (dialects neutral as to prestige).’
- ‘What usually occurs is the incorporation of the acrolect's symbols and ideas, the dogma and doctrine, and the basilect's practices and rituals.’
- ‘At this time the great majority of people in the community were speakers primarily of this basilect.’
- ‘English would be the acrolect while Jamaican would be the basilect.’
1960s: from basis + -lect as in dialect.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.