Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fungus whose spores develop in basidia. They include the majority of familiar mushrooms and toadstools.Compare with ascomycete
- ‘Both basidiomycetes and ascomycetes developed the ability to digest plant tissues early on.’
- ‘In all such analyses, the chytrids were the deepest branch of fungi, followed by zygomycetes and then basidiomycetes and ascomycetes.’
- ‘Moreover, copia elements, as investigated in this study, are the most rare type of transposable elements in fungi, especially among basidiomycetes.’
- ‘Fungal pathogens come from two main groups of fungi, the ascomycetes (rusts and smuts) and the basidiomycetes (the higher fungi - mushrooms, toadstools, and bracket fungi).’
- ‘Most basidiomycete fungi do not undergo nuclear fusion to form diploid nuclei until just prior to meiosis.’
Late 19th century: anglicized singular of modern Latin Basidiomycetes, from basidium (see basidium) + Greek mukētes fungi.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.