One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fungus whose spores develop in basidia. They include the majority of familiar mushrooms and toadstools.Compare with ascomycete
- ‘Moreover, copia elements, as investigated in this study, are the most rare type of transposable elements in fungi, especially among basidiomycetes.’
- ‘Both basidiomycetes and ascomycetes developed the ability to digest plant tissues early on.’
- ‘In all such analyses, the chytrids were the deepest branch of fungi, followed by zygomycetes and then basidiomycetes and ascomycetes.’
- ‘Fungal pathogens come from two main groups of fungi, the ascomycetes (rusts and smuts) and the basidiomycetes (the higher fungi - mushrooms, toadstools, and bracket fungi).’
- ‘Most basidiomycete fungi do not undergo nuclear fusion to form diploid nuclei until just prior to meiosis.’
Late 19th century: anglicized singular of modern Latin Basidiomycetes, from basidium (see basidium) + Greek mukētes ‘fungi’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.