One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Slag formed as a by-product of basic steel-making processes. It is generally rich in lime and sometimes also in phosphates, and can be used as fertilizer.
- ‘Amongst these were agricultural fertilizers such as basic slag and essential components of products such as washing powders.’
- ‘In magnesium-deficient soils, add fish meal, basic slag, greensand or dolomitic limestone.’
- ‘Rock phosphate, colloidal phosphate, and basic slag are only slightly water soluble and become available to plants slowly.’
- ‘Usually, a charge of graded steel scrap is melted under an oxidising basic slag to remove the phosphorus.’
- ‘As a result, the amount of phosphorus in samples of basic slag today is very low.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.