One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
The selection of channels included in the standard, least expensive subscription offered by a cable television service.‘one of the raunchiest shows on basic cable’as modifier ‘the most-watched basic cable series on Thursday nights’
- ‘It has some rough material and language that a basic cable channel would never be able to get away with.’
- ‘I mainly purchased foreign films because it was something I could never see on the basic cable we had back home.’
- ‘I saw it after seeing its sequel, but only in edited form on basic cable.’
- ‘I began watching Buffy in its fifth season, then caught up with the reruns on basic cable.’
- ‘Last year it ranked No.1 in the ratings among all basic cable networks.’
- ‘Sieber remains confident basic cable ratings will increase this summer.’
- ‘There's some language and nudity in the DVD cut that wouldn't have made it onto basic cable.’
- ‘We were able to watch both basic cable and satellite TV.’
- ‘Movies go from theatres to pay-per-view to premium cable to basic cable to free TV.’
- ‘Cable deals in many cities require that local channels are made available as part of a basic cable package.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.