One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
The selection of channels included in the standard, least expensive subscription offered by a cable television service.‘one of the raunchiest shows on basic cable’as modifier ‘the most-watched basic cable series on Thursday nights’
- ‘Cable deals in many cities require that local channels are made available as part of a basic cable package.’
- ‘We were able to watch both basic cable and satellite TV.’
- ‘Movies go from theatres to pay-per-view to premium cable to basic cable to free TV.’
- ‘I saw it after seeing its sequel, but only in edited form on basic cable.’
- ‘Last year it ranked No.1 in the ratings among all basic cable networks.’
- ‘Sieber remains confident basic cable ratings will increase this summer.’
- ‘I mainly purchased foreign films because it was something I could never see on the basic cable we had back home.’
- ‘It has some rough material and language that a basic cable channel would never be able to get away with.’
- ‘There's some language and nudity in the DVD cut that wouldn't have made it onto basic cable.’
- ‘I began watching Buffy in its fifth season, then caught up with the reruns on basic cable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.