Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sumo wrestling tournament.
- ‘Sumo Digest is a half hour digest of each day's action at the major bashos in Japan.’
- ‘The goal in each basho is to obtain kachi-koshi, a winning record.’
- ‘Japanese people have always loved sumo, but now when you go to a basho there are empty seats in the stadium.’
- ‘I share your disappointment about not being able to catch Sumo Digest during the basho.’
- ‘Besides that controversy, it was still a basho to remember.’
Japanese, from ba place, occasion + shō place, locality.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.