One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sumo wrestling tournament.
- ‘Japanese people have always loved sumo, but now when you go to a basho there are empty seats in the stadium.’
- ‘I share your disappointment about not being able to catch Sumo Digest during the basho.’
- ‘Besides that controversy, it was still a basho to remember.’
- ‘The goal in each basho is to obtain kachi-koshi, a winning record.’
- ‘Sumo Digest is a half hour digest of each day's action at the major bashos in Japan.’
Japanese, from ba ‘place, occasion’ + shō ‘place, locality’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.