One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The permanent minimum load that a power supply system is required to deliver.
- ‘In the short span of a few years Central Australia has flipped from being in the sights of British Nuclear Fuels to becoming a potential generator of baseload electricity for future generations of Australians.’
- ‘But for the foreseeable future, expansion of baseload power generation for most countries comes down to a choice between coal and nuclear energy.’
- ‘They seem serious, and as you know, it is our baseload plant for the Midwest.’
- ‘But that bit's done, and the focus is definitely on a sustainable future where thermal fills a supplementary role for peak loads and dry years, rather than being baseload generation.’
- ‘I am talking about the problem of getting sufficient baseload generation up and going, to meet the needs of a growing economy - even if that growth slows down.’
- ‘Even so, Tyree says that the overall cost of landfill-gas-generated electricity will be competitive with other baseload options.’
- ‘Phase one of this two-story, 45,000-square-foot facility will feature a combined heat and natural power system that will provide baseload power, as well as steam, high-temperature water and chilled water.’
- ‘So in the long-term, we can achieve a green mix of hydro and wind supplying baseload, with peak ‘firming’ and dry-year generation supplied by geothermal and coal.’
- ‘Nobody has proven that modern economies can be run without baseload plants, and nuclear is the only one that doesn't cause global warming.’
- ‘On Earthbeat two weeks ago, we looked at the solar thermal technology developed at the University of Sydney that has the potential to compete with baseload electricity from coal in the future.’
- ‘Candu reactors offer a safe, reliable sources of baseload electricity and are a proven solution to the problem of climate change.’
- ‘For example, at California State University in Northridge, six grid-parallel microturbines with internal gas compressors provide peak shaving baseload power to the university's central plant.’
- ‘We can easily aim for - and achieve - a green mix of hydro, wind and geothermal for baseload, with a small amount of coal or gas for peak load and ‘firming’ - and all at a cheaper cost than nuclear.’
- ‘But they are still a niche compared with, for example, baseload power generation for the wider grid.’
- ‘So we'd still need more coal plants to provide reliable baseload supply.’
- ‘At times of critical low inflow, Project Aqua is unlikely to deliver anything, yet it is promoted as an essential contributor to our baseload supply.’
- ‘He foreshadowed also that within the next five years Origin would invest in substantial baseload generation plant using Otway Basin gas in Victoria and coal seam methane in Queensland.’
- ‘Ralph Tyree, a construction engineer project coordinator working in the resource planning department, was given the task of determining if a practical source of renewable baseload power could feasibly be developed.’
- ‘Systems can be used to produce electricity to meet a facility's baseload demand, to shave peak demand and to meet electrical needs when a utility feed fails.’
- ‘The Coastal Guardians claim that wind won't displace coal because it isn't a baseload power source, so it won't result in the greenhouse gas emission cuts that the industry claims it will.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.