One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A narrow wooden board running along the base of an interior wall; skirting.
- ‘Use appropriate enhancements, such as decorative molding, baseboards, and bead board.’
- ‘Most manufacturers also offer compatible trim pieces, such as thresholds and baseboards, that give a uniform look to the installation and help it blend with other areas of the home.’
- ‘For instance, a baseboard wall along one edge of the courtyard makes a fence from the adjacent house.’
- ‘When laying down plastic sheeting, it's best to lay painting tape (usually blue in color) against the baseboards around the perimeter of the room.’
- ‘The same treatment was used on the baseboards, casings and mouldings throughout the home.’
- ‘Check the baseboard or moldings for signs of mildew.’
- ‘Sunday while D. labored with a vacuum cleaner in the living room cursing the cat hair on the baseboards, I worked in the study closet, the deepest vault of my former abode.’
- ‘During this time of economic boom in Italy, his new factory grew and prospered in the production of baseboards, trim and cornices for the building industry.’
- ‘To remove the shoe molding, use a utility knife to carefully cut through any thick paint layers between the baseboards and the molding.’
- ‘They like to chew on stuff if left alone - wires, wooden baseboards, whatever - so they need to be trained out of that if you want them to run around the house on their own.’
- ‘By the time I finish my lunch, including that slice of cake I wasn't going to have, the two waiters under the table laden with the tempting mounds of sweets have finished scouring the baseboards.’
- ‘Doors and windows have no trim, and there are no baseboards or moldings to cover the intersections of walls and floors.’
- ‘The trim can be used around windows and doors, for baseboards, crown moldings, and chair rails.’
- ‘I even think that the baseboards in all the halls have not once made me wonder who is spending my residence fees.’
- ‘Unlike most other ants they actually like human homes and will even nest inside homes when it's convenient - usually behind baseboards or under appliances.’
- ‘Her shoulders slumped forward, some invisible burden pressing hard on her, and her eyes were cast down and away, as if inspecting the baseboards for dust.’
- ‘No baseboards, door frames, or other woodwork interrupt its plaster walls.’
- ‘Measure wall height from floor to ceiling, excluding baseboards and moldings.’
- ‘The same is true for smaller baseboards and ceiling moldings, which are nailed into the top and bottom wall plates rather than into the studs.’
- ‘He designed distinctive frames for the pictures and made sure the baseboards and crown moldings were painted to harmonize with the colored fabrics he used to cover the walls.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.