Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fundamental unit that is defined arbitrarily and not by combinations of other units. The base units of the SI system are the metre, kilogram, second, ampere, kelvin, mole, and candela.
- ‘In the metric system, the base unit of weight is the gram; in the avoirdupois system, it's the pound.’
- ‘The seven base units of the SI system, each of which is used for a particular physical quantity, are shown in figure 1.’
- ‘Individual starch grains were used as the base unit of analysis for these experiments (as opposed to analysing the positions of entire amyloplasts).’
- ‘The base unit for M-MESes was the Spear, each with five M-MESes.’
- ‘This is actually a very common ‘computer science’ problem, and can be easily solved by standardizing the base unit of time.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.