One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fundamental unit that is defined arbitrarily and not by combinations of other units. The base units of the SI system are the metre, kilogram, second, ampere, kelvin, mole, and candela.
- ‘In the metric system, the base unit of weight is the gram; in the avoirdupois system, it's the pound.’
- ‘This is actually a very common ‘computer science’ problem, and can be easily solved by standardizing the base unit of time.’
- ‘The seven base units of the SI system, each of which is used for a particular physical quantity, are shown in figure 1.’
- ‘Individual starch grains were used as the base unit of analysis for these experiments (as opposed to analysing the positions of entire amyloplasts).’
- ‘The base unit for M-MESes was the Spear, each with five M-MESes.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.