One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See base jump
- ‘Often base jumpers have to break into buildings, evade security and climb hundreds of feet before leaping into space.’
- ‘Base is an acronym for Bridge, Antenna, Span and Earth - ie, the objects base jumpers launch themselves off.’
- ‘Last week John, 29, one of the Scots base jumpers, dismissed suggestions that they were endangering the public and said more jumps were planned in the coming months.’
- ‘Yesterday, a British base jumper at Staldenfluh in Switzerland abruptly retired from the sport.’
- ‘Today, it is the outdoor activity capital of southern Utah, and mountains around it echo with whooping base jumpers, spluttering river rafters and the squeal of tortured mountain bikes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.