One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A parachute jump from a fixed point, typically a high building or promontory, rather than an aircraft.
- ‘Nigel and Brent from First Light Travel suggest a rat-line / base jump from the Sky Tower.’
- ‘The truly foolish can take part in the annual base jump from the Petronas Twin Towers, which, at 1,483 ft high, combine to take the title of the world's second-tallest building.’
- ‘Additionally, he would have had to skydive another 30 to 40 times to get the experience necessary to base jump.’
- ‘I've done more than 1,000 BASE jumps and 2,000 skydives now and every time I walk up to the edge of whatever the object is, I'm nervous.’
- ‘Approximately 1 in 1,000 BASE jumps ends in death.’
- ‘These guys sew wings to their suit and base jump.’
- ‘He has completed 2,000 skydives and 1,400 BASE jumps.’
- ‘‘The jumping show is our second BASE jump from a real building,’ Hu said.’
- ‘Most base jumps are actually illegal so your best bet is probably the 25th annual Bridge Day in West Virginia.’
- ‘To date, more than 80 people have died attempting base jumps across the world.’
- ‘A small core of adventurers are still attempting bold explorations - first ascents and descents, virgin BASE jumps, and mammoth waves - where the risks are truly unknown and death is a real possibility.’
- ‘Roland died in hospital in Canberra last Friday from head injuries he'd sustained during a base jump off a skyscraper in Shanghai earlier this month.’
- ‘The feeling in the sky is a little frightening although I had experienced about 170 BASE jumps.’
- ‘He is a former sky surfing champion and a member of the first team to incorporate acrobatic stunts in a BASE jump.’
no object Perform a base jump.‘he base jumped from the top on to the glacier below’
- ‘Once a year, on the third Saturday in October("Bridge Day"), permission to BASE jump has explicitly been granted at the New River Gorge Bridge in Fayetteville, West Virginia.’
- ‘‘You know, Lynnie, we could base-jump from this ledge,’ he said.’
- ‘The desire to fly is natural in human kind, and while many defy gravity by base jumping, skydiving, and bungee jumping, others prefer to keep their feet firmly on the ground until something a little less frightening comes along.’
- ‘I would rather base jump off a two-story building than relive a single moment of high school.’
- ‘MTV Sports was planning a 30 minute documentary about a student BASE jumper going through the steps of learning how to BASE jump.’
- ‘He has already mastered sky-diving and base-jumping, once performing a jump from a Norwegian fjord that involved riding his bike off the cliff and executing two back-flips before releasing his chute.’
- ‘Everywhere offers bungee jumps and whitewater rafting, but Malaysia doesn't mess about - it is one of the only places to allow base-jumping.’
- ‘The result is our definitive list - in no particular order - comprising everything from World Cup finals and grand slam events to base jumping and bull running in India.’
- ‘Titus and Dave partake in some base-jumping off a local bridge, until a fellow jumper suffers a fatal accident.’
- ‘This remains the unofficial home of base jumping; unofficial because base jumping is illegal, and there have been numerous fatalities.’
1980s: base from b uilding, a ntenna-tower, s pan, e arth (denoting the types of structure used).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.