One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fair ball hit such that the batter can advance safely to a base without an error by the team in the field.
- ‘Before each series, we go over scouting reports that show where the other team's base hits go.’
- ‘Carillon sent 10 batters to the plate in the seventh scoring four runs on four walks, two base hits and two errors.’
- ‘I got a base hit in the top of the eighth inning to put us ahead 1-0.’
- ‘Consider an outfielder who cleanly fields a base hit and returns the ball to the infield.’
- ‘Palmeiro has slapped what would be base hits, but the ball has rolled directly to the second baseman's new location.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.