Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘In rodents, sympathetic activation of brown fat appears to play an important role in increasing thermogenesis and basal metabolism via activation of uncoupling proteins.’
- ‘This involuntary activity is known as basal metabolism and represents about 60 percent of your body's energy need.’
- ‘Some sources use the terms resting metabolic rate or resting energy expenditure to describe basal metabolism.’
- ‘‘Even though their basal metabolism is revved up, people with rheumatoid arthritis tend to be less active than people without - which reduces their caloric needs,’ says Roberts.’
- ‘Under anaerobic conditions, mussels depress their basal metabolism to increase survival.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.