Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Forming or belonging to a bottom layer or base.‘basal epidermal cells’‘the plant grows huge basal leaves’
basic, foundational, rudimentary, elemental, elementary, underlying, basal, radical, rootView synonyms
- ‘Alcohol withdrawal symptoms and a left basal pneumonia complicated his recovery.’
- ‘These cells originate in the lower epidermis by division of basal cells in the basal layer.’
- ‘It was not clear whether the two central cells of the basal region of the stalk derived from the subepidermal layer or not.’
- ‘Cells are replaced from a basal layer of proliferating epidermal cells in contact with the basal lamina.’
- ‘Thus, for four of the five treatments, the ratios of basal leaf to root were similar.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.