One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Forming or belonging to a bottom layer or base.‘basal epidermal cells’‘the plant grows huge basal leaves’
basic, foundational, rudimentary, elemental, elementary, underlying, radical, rootView synonyms
- ‘It was not clear whether the two central cells of the basal region of the stalk derived from the subepidermal layer or not.’
- ‘These cells originate in the lower epidermis by division of basal cells in the basal layer.’
- ‘Alcohol withdrawal symptoms and a left basal pneumonia complicated his recovery.’
- ‘Cells are replaced from a basal layer of proliferating epidermal cells in contact with the basal lamina.’
- ‘Thus, for four of the five treatments, the ratios of basal leaf to root were similar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.