Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘He ornamented early works with painted scenes and bas-relief glass embellishments, and created high-relief decorated surfaces, using glass, auto-reflectors, mirrors, and other found objects.’
- ‘Inside the temples, however, bas-relief was employed, since it does not produce such contrasts and creates a serene effect in the semi-dark.’
- ‘He marks the walking sticks and sculptures with geometric motifs, vivid color contrasts, emphatic figures and depictions of reptiles, and applies similar aesthetics to the masterfully stylized bas-relief panels.’
- ‘Ornaments carved in bas-relief presented flowing full figures, cherubs, flowers, and crowns.’
- ‘In addition, they might also be seen as a hybrid of painting and bas-relief, so emphatic are their materiality and objectness, their presence as things in the world.’
- ‘Basso relievo, low relief or bas-relief, is used when the scale of projection is very much less than that of the other dimensions and there is no undercutting at all.’
- ‘The medal should be seen as it was originally conceived - as a work of art, the highest expression of bas-relief sculpture.’
- ‘His works are wall pieces that look like drawings rendered in bas-relief.’
- ‘In all forms of illustration, from bas-relief to classical statuary, the helmet symbolized the warrior and individuals wishing to be so remembered would deliberately be portrayed in helmets.’
- ‘The heavily paint-loaded areas, here as elsewhere, have a bas-relief quality while the thinner, drier brushstrokes delicately abrade the weave of the canvas and create an atmospheric effect.’
Early 17th century (as basse relieve): from Italian basso-rilievo ‘low relief’, later altered to the French form.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.