One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A practice race for young or inexperienced horses, particularly in order to familiarize them with the starting gate.‘the two-year-old impressed in a recent barrier trial’
- ‘He had won two barrier trials coming into the race.’
- ‘She closed second behind Mrs Onassis in a 900m barrier trial at Rosehill yesterday.’
- ‘He will have been sharpened by his third placing at the recent Avondale barrier trials.’
- ‘She puts in a solid performance during a recent barrier trial.’
- ‘He will ramp up his spring carnival preparations in a barrier trial on Monday.’
- ‘A pleasing barrier trial in Sydney has the jockey upbeat about the prospects of claiming a double.’
- ‘With any number of debut runners with stylish barrier trial form, this race sets up to be a bit of a trap.’
- ‘She should have been brought closer to fitness with her recent barrier trial.’
- ‘He has had two solid barrier trials in preparation for today's comeback.’
- ‘The trainer showed the depth of his stable with five barrier trial winners including boom colt Rebel Dane at Warwick Farm yesterday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.