One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A practice race for young or inexperienced horses, particularly in order to familiarize them with the starting gate.‘the two-year-old impressed in a recent barrier trial’
- ‘He will ramp up his spring carnival preparations in a barrier trial on Monday.’
- ‘A pleasing barrier trial in Sydney has the jockey upbeat about the prospects of claiming a double.’
- ‘She should have been brought closer to fitness with her recent barrier trial.’
- ‘He will have been sharpened by his third placing at the recent Avondale barrier trials.’
- ‘He had won two barrier trials coming into the race.’
- ‘She puts in a solid performance during a recent barrier trial.’
- ‘The trainer showed the depth of his stable with five barrier trial winners including boom colt Rebel Dane at Warwick Farm yesterday.’
- ‘With any number of debut runners with stylish barrier trial form, this race sets up to be a bit of a trap.’
- ‘She closed second behind Mrs Onassis in a 900m barrier trial at Rosehill yesterday.’
- ‘He has had two solid barrier trials in preparation for today's comeback.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.