One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Old World plant with cup-shaped spurred flowers, cultivated for its colourful foliage. It was formerly thought to cause infertility.
- ‘The only plant Easy Gardener has grown that really does not allow weeds to come through (and which is handsome enough to use in a garden) is the little tribe of epimediiums, or barrenworts.’
- ‘Leaves of some barrenworts may also emerge red or burgundy in the spring, then turn yellow or red in the fall.’
- ‘Bicolor barrenwort is one of the earliest to bloom.’
- ‘You don't mention if your walkway is in the sun or shade, so here are some varieties for each: I like all of the barrenworts for edging in shade, but Epimedium youngianum stays somewhat smaller than the rest.’
- ‘Accent their upright stems with low plantings of foamflower, bloodroot, and barrenworts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.