One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aerobatic manoeuvre in which an aircraft follows a single turn of a spiral while rolling once about its longitudinal axis.
- ‘Without really noticing, he saw Nathan and the others on the bridge grab their harnesses as Sean pulled away into a barrel roll, dodging cannonfire.’
- ‘The lead pilot began a barrel roll at approximately 10,000 feet and lost sight of us off his right side.’
- ‘‘Blue Leader in,’ Matt glanced across to see Michael's Hurricane peeling sharply into a barrel roll towards the German fighters below them.’
- ‘He suddenly made a barrel roll and held onto her tightly.’
- ‘Grinning, Sean, instead of letting go of the joysticks, gripped them harder and pulled a barrel roll.’
- ‘They found out exactly why when the maneuver caused the DarkHorse to do a full barrel roll, jet upwards, do a wide backflip, and rejoin the fleet that had criss-crossed in front.’
- ‘A passing bird shot straight up into the air faster than it could have dived down at us, doing a miniature barrel roll.’
- ‘Corks put the Falcon in a barrel roll to try and shake the target lock, but failed.’
- ‘I did a barrel roll, dropping a step and closing the throttle.’
- ‘He keyed the comport, while jerking the aging freighter into a barrel roll and zig-zag pattern.’
- ‘During the next 89 seconds, Ritchie threw his big, smoky jet into a classic, low-altitude dogfight with lightning-fast turns and even a barrel roll.’
- ‘Maverick and Alatza tried to break by executing an abrupt barrel roll in opposite directions but the enemy fighters stayed on their tail.’
- ‘He got a childlike urge to fly in a barrel roll, but thought better of it.’
- ‘With a quick barrel roll he dipped beneath me and banked to circle the group.’
- ‘It looked like the pilot had attempted to do a barrel roll while crashing.’
- ‘‘She's right,’ Mira said, throwing the ship into a barrel roll and then a snap twist.’
- ‘I did a quick barrel roll, causing it to only scrape my side.’
- ‘The steering handles jerked out of his grips, and he went into a sharp turn, then did a barrel roll, the laser whiskers flickering to life without any action on his part.’
- ‘Saying this, James loosed a volley from all of his guns while performing a slow barrel roll.’
- ‘Ander leaned into a barrel roll himself - the pilot ahead of him was the only other person he knew that could pull it off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.