Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A horizontal bar at waist level on which ballet dancers rest a hand for support during certain exercises.
- ‘Holding on to the barres, they moved into first position as the classical music started.’
- ‘The 19-year-old farm boy gave up the school gym's chin-up bar for the ballet barre in Nancy Hoggins's basement studio.’
- ‘A ballet barre, for example, will get you ready for class by increasing your body temperature, suppleness and muscular control.’
- ‘Upon walking into the new and impressive complex of CPYB, I was surprised to see the excellent bodies of this young company walking in the hall and standing at the barres.’
- ‘All we have to do is pull up the carpets, lay the floors, and install barres and mirrors.’
- ‘Stand holding the ballet barre with one hand, other hand at your waist.’
- ‘They were not furniture to store dance bags, substitute barres, or places to park ashtrays, coffee cups, and soda cans.’
- ‘Marloth guides a series of intensive ballet barre exercises targeting the glutes, hips and thighs.’
- ‘‘We can add a staff person, we get a faculty/company lounge, a 60’ x 40’ rehearsal space, three studios with sprung wood floors, new mirrors and barres, and space for on-site set, props, and costume storage.’’
- ‘The photo shows the company doing their barre exercises.’
- ‘Still, dancers who are growing can offset injuries, to some degree, by adding floor barres and other body conditioning activities (such as Pilates) to increase strength.’
- ‘Unlike the other spaces, the Alice offered existing arts facilities, pre-equipped with dance floors, barres, and dressing rooms.’
- ‘Although she still gets to the gym by six every morning, works out on the machines, submits to a personal trainer and does a ballet barre, she no longer performs.’
- ‘For example, where you once saw a hand rail, see a ballet barre.’
- ‘The exercises at the barre should prepare the students in specific ways for what she plans to present in the center.’
- ‘The first act, art deco in style with black, white, and shining chrome, drew deserved applause when the mirrored walls and barres of the studio magically transformed into a gleaming train.’
- ‘I only see barres and mirrors otherwise the ballet class looks rather bare…’
- ‘We also incorporated movements on the ballet barre to deeply stretch and target lower-body muscles.’
- ‘It's a mixed combination - classical, some modern and some jazz during the ballet barre.’
- ‘It also highlights a line of specialty items, such as ballet/stretching barres.’
2as modifier Denoting a chord played using the barré method.
- ‘The strings are far easier to push down, and I can now play barre chords at roughly the same speed as standard ones - I need to reposition my hand far less than before.’
- ‘Without them, the current crop of people claiming that rock is dead would probably still be trying to master barre chords.’
- ‘Rather than the standard barrage of bass and major barre chords, The Banshees offered a sound that was expansive and broad, yet no less claustrophobic and tense than any of their peers.’
- ‘Marr offers nothing in the way of inventive guitar on Boomslang, a disc of barre chord throwaways you'd only expect from demos leaked by an unscrupulous associate.’
- ‘Hear how they all hit the drum and main barre chord at the same time in the build-up to ‘Bleed Blue’?’
A method of playing a chord on the guitar or a similar instrument in which one finger is laid across all the strings at a particular fret.
- ‘Here are the guitar chord charts for the basic guitar bar chords.’
- ‘Barre chords are some of the mostly commonly used chords in music today.’
- ‘In this lesson, learn the basics of playing barre chords.’
Late 19th century: French, literally ‘barred’, past participle of barrer.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.