One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of large, chiefly freshwater fishes of Australia and SE Asia.
- ‘Among the warm water perch are Australia's barramundi and Nile perch of Egypt.’
- ‘Barramundi caught in the wild and from saltwater farms have flooded the market, pushing down the price for freshwater barramundi by more than 20 per cent.’
- ‘My country is on the eastern side of Melville Island where people today hunt for magpie goose and go fishing for freshwater barramundi.’
- ‘But you won't see a traditional U.S.-style bass boat stalking Australia's celebrated barramundi.’
- ‘They recorded 40 types of fish, like rainbow fish, barramundi, and spangled perch.’
Late 19th century: probably from an Aboriginal language of Queensland.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.