Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long, slender fish of southern oceans, highly valued as food.Also called snoek in South Africa
- ‘Most of the barracouta or ‘couta’ as it was called was sent to the Melbourne Wholesale Fish market, but some of it was also canned.’
- ‘Early European accounts support the archaeological view of the major significance of barracouta in this area.’
- ‘Both the barracouta and the frostfish are mid water hunters preying on squid and small baitfish.’
- ‘A more typical barracouta measures under a metre in length and weighs between 0.8 and 1.5 kg.’
- ‘Hi, I'm interested in catching a barracouta but I'm not sure what lure to use and the price range for them.’
Mid 19th century: alteration of barracuda.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.