One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long, slender fish of southern oceans, highly valued as food.
Thyrsites atun, family GempylidaeAlso called snoek in South Africa
- ‘Both the barracouta and the frostfish are mid water hunters preying on squid and small baitfish.’
- ‘Early European accounts support the archaeological view of the major significance of barracouta in this area.’
- ‘A more typical barracouta measures under a metre in length and weighs between 0.8 and 1.5 kg.’
- ‘Hi, I'm interested in catching a barracouta but I'm not sure what lure to use and the price range for them.’
- ‘Most of the barracouta or ‘couta’ as it was called was sent to the Melbourne Wholesale Fish market, but some of it was also canned.’
Mid 19th century: alteration of barracuda.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.