Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long, slender fish of southern oceans, highly valued as food.Also called snoek in South Africa
- ‘Early European accounts support the archaeological view of the major significance of barracouta in this area.’
- ‘Hi, I'm interested in catching a barracouta but I'm not sure what lure to use and the price range for them.’
- ‘Both the barracouta and the frostfish are mid water hunters preying on squid and small baitfish.’
- ‘A more typical barracouta measures under a metre in length and weighs between 0.8 and 1.5 kg.’
- ‘Most of the barracouta or ‘couta’ as it was called was sent to the Melbourne Wholesale Fish market, but some of it was also canned.’
Mid 19th century: alteration of barracuda.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.