One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Injury caused by a change in air pressure, affecting typically the ear or the lung.
- ‘The most dangerous medical problems are barotrauma to the lungs and decompression sickness, also called ‘the bends.’’
- ‘Once mechanical ventilation has been started, it is important to avoid high ventilator pressures and the associated risks of barotrauma.’
- ‘For this reason, it is important to monitor airway pressures during ventilation to prevent barotrauma.’
- ‘Traumatic perforations of the tympanic membrane can occur because of water accidents, barotrauma, explosions, penetrating injury, or temporal bone fractures.’
- ‘Inflation pressures for adults in excess of this are rarely beneficial, and the risk of barotrauma and gastric inflation are similar in adults and children.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.