Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Injury caused by a change in air pressure, affecting typically the ear or the lung.
- ‘For this reason, it is important to monitor airway pressures during ventilation to prevent barotrauma.’
- ‘The most dangerous medical problems are barotrauma to the lungs and decompression sickness, also called ‘the bends.’’
- ‘Once mechanical ventilation has been started, it is important to avoid high ventilator pressures and the associated risks of barotrauma.’
- ‘Traumatic perforations of the tympanic membrane can occur because of water accidents, barotrauma, explosions, penetrating injury, or temporal bone fractures.’
- ‘Inflation pressures for adults in excess of this are rarely beneficial, and the risk of barotrauma and gastric inflation are similar in adults and children.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.