Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A barometer that records its readings on a moving chart.
- ‘It was pointed out that approved barographs for badge & record flights have not been updated since 98 / 99.’
- ‘In spite of reports from many ships that the barograph was registering an almost vertical fall, the local weather station continued to forecast good weather.’
- ‘The IQ-Compeo is a combined vario, GPS, full fledged flight computer, and datalogger / barograph.’
- ‘An air barograph recorded atmospheric pressures every 1.5 min at a fixed station during the gravity survey.’
- ‘When Icarus finally acquired his Flytec Variometer, at a very affordable price I might add, he immediately noticed the barograph feature and insisted on trying it out that day.’
- ‘Lastly, I think that barographs in varios can be eliminated altogether with the use of 3D GPS.’
- ‘I would like to see declaration boards and photos gone and GPS / barographs in.’
- ‘The explosion registered on seismic stations across Eurasia, and produced fluctuations in atmospheric pressure strong enough to be detected by the recently invented barographs in Britain.’
- ‘Here are the highlights: you can use any 3D GPS for your badge flights, or a 2D GPS accompanied by a barograph, or even an IGC flight recorder.’
- ‘Today I received mail from Flytec in Switzerland with their barograph data format description and forwarded this to Dietrich Münchmeier the author of Maxpunkte.’
- ‘There is a need for barograph approval standards.’
- ‘There is absolutely no need to insist on 3D GPS traces, provided that the claimant can also supply an approved barograph trace.’
- ‘I have also carried out IGC-standard barograph calibrations including for the then UK gain-of-height and absolute altitude records.’
- ‘2D is all that is needed because a barograph is also required, but not needed to be integrated.’
- ‘Except as stated in 22.214.171.124, a barograph or approved flight recorder shall be used on all record attempts.’
- ‘Maxpunkte allows you to combine your barograph recording with your GPS tracklog.’
- ‘Flytec Pilots will have loaner barograph equipped instruments available.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek baros weight + -graph.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.