Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a performance or performer) flamboyantly energetic and successful.‘his barnstorming oratory has been sorely missed’
- ‘The Chancellor's conference speeches are always barnstorming.’
- ‘In the Best Supporting Actor category, Chris Cooper deservedly picked up the gold statuette for his barnstorming performance in Adaptation.’
- ‘Porter featured again, with Kim Criswell barnstorming her way through I've Still Got My Health.’
- ‘The lithe spirit is somewhat changed for the Sixth Concerto which is a full blown four movement work containing much barnstorming and magnificence all around.’
- ‘Beckham clearly felt his barnstorming performance on Wednesday night was the right moment to quit on a high.’
- ‘It wasn't quite the barnstorming performance of previous eras.’
- ‘Following Andrew Bolt's barnstorming performance on ABC Victoria last Friday, I decided to test the Herald Sun ban once again by submitting the following letter for publication.’
- ‘Peter Mandelson delivered an extraordinary, barnstorming speech that (I never thought I'd write this) eloquently expressed the views of the left - or the Israeli left, at least.’
- ‘Seven of the nine selections are Peterson compositions and rather than a barnstorming concert opener, Oscar chooses a quiet, reflective piece, Nighttime.’
- ‘After a multitude of barnstorming performances on the left side, Danny Tiatto was judged the best player in the Maine Road ranks last campaign.’
- ‘What did he make of Bobo Balde's barnstorming performance in Vigo?’
- ‘That the let's-put-on-a-show plot was age-old mattered not among lively performances, inventive comedy and barnstorming dance routines.’
- ‘Mrs Catling, a married mother-of-two, was ‘fast-tracked’ into the Labour-held seat last year after a barnstorming performance in the last General Election, when she cut the majority by half.’
- ‘Clapton has covered the Johnson songbook throughout his career, most famously in ‘Crossroads’, his barnstorming showstopper when he was in Cream more than 30 years ago.’
- ‘Even something as barnstorming, and as seemingly tied to the attendant distortion, as ‘Six Barrel Shotgun’ would work just as well as an acoustic stomper.’
- ‘Those who are fans of great barnstorming piano works will most definitely warm to this disc which is expertly annotated and scintillatingly interpreted from first note to last.’
- ‘It's not as barnstorming as many interpretations but carefully charting all the work's expressive depths; both the A major Rondo and the lengthy A minor Allegro are done with equal sensitivity.’
- ‘US Ryder Cup captain Curtis Strange led the praise for Colin Montgomerie after the Scot's barnstorming performance in Europe's famous victory.’
- ‘Brian Minto took on Vincent Maddalone in what we can classify as barnstorming affair.’
- ‘It is a beautiful and well thought out characterisation and more effective to me than the rather barnstorming performance of Michael Feast in the same role at Chichester.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.