One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who works on a barge.
- ‘When the two bargemen fish the dead woman from the water, Joe realises the corpse is his ex-girlfriend Cathie.’
- ‘It's good to see an old canal brought back to life, but I wonder what those 19th century bargemen would make of the modern cappuccino lifestyle.’
- ‘The Alabarch is very kind, but I must confess he is as rigid as a bargeman's pole.’
- ‘The Rhine bargemen attacked the steamships that were stealing their trade, and Rhineland peasants surged into the forests to cut wood.’
- ‘Set in 1950s Glasgow, Young Adam begins when two bargemen fish the body of a naked woman from the river, an event which precipitates an affair between the young deckhand and his boss's wife.’
- ‘For Joe, the enigmatic bargeman played by Ewan McGregor in Young Adam, employment is a necessary evil, a burden on the back of his freedom.’
- ‘He worked as a bell hanger and a bargeman on the Thames before a stint in the Royal Navy.’
- ‘Planning permission has been drawn up to convert and extend the 200-year-old former bargeman's cottage into a L-shaped home.’
- ‘They provided work for eighty-one bargemen, and presumably made a profit for their thirty registered owners.’
- ‘Mrs Claydon left the town's primary school at 14 to work as a housemaid and later married her next door neighbour Alfred-John, who was a bargeman.’
- ‘The film stars Ewan McGregor as Joe, a Scottish bargeman who lives and works on a boat with a family of three.’
- ‘The man still holding on to the tail, and the dog paddling bravely, the craft was quickly brought alongside the oar, which the bargeman seized and took on board.’
- ‘I learnt to revere the skill and knowledge of the coastal bargemen, like Jack Spitty the master of the Edith May in the 60s.’
- ‘The bargeman took Lynette's sack, containing her holy book, her change of clothes, and her comb that she had smuggled in, and placed it onto the shore of the dock.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.