Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a boat or ship hired without a crew.‘bareboat charters’
- ‘But a better way to get the ‘feel’ of Europe is to do it yourself on a bareboat charter.’
- ‘If you find yourself yachtless, fear not: A number of companies rent yachts either bareboat or with a skipper.’
- ‘One possibility initially envisaged was a bareboat charter to its existing Estonian subsidiary, which would then become the employer of the crew.’
- ‘Both bareboat and crewed yachts are available for as long as you require.’
- ‘This was our first bareboat sailing holiday; the previous three had been in the safety of a flotilla.’
- ‘And compared with the rest of the Caribbean, the sailing is relatively easy: with a little experience, you can join a flotilla, charter bareboat or pay extra for a professional skipper.’
- ‘A smaller 40-foot bareboat might go for about $600 per person per week, not including groceries, dock fees, and gas.’
- ‘A fair number of crewed charter boats, both power and sail, are based in the marinas, but no bareboat firms were to be found when I visited a few months ago.’
- ‘Whether you choose to go bareboat, take a captain, or even an entire crew there is bound to be a destination to suit you.’
- ‘These can be a combination of bareboat and skippered yachts, and can provide you with the right balance of educational support and local knowledge.’
- ‘Such dual registrations - also known as double flaggings - are largely illegal, but some countries make exceptions for bareboat charters.’
- ‘Pass the final written test, and you'll earn certification in basic and bareboat cruising.’
- ‘Bruce Baker, of Richmond, VA, is a veteran bareboat sailboat charterer.’
- ‘Packing for a bareboat charter is made even easier by Australia's famous informality.’
- ‘This will definitely affect the Hotel industry and the bareboat charters in our region.’
- ‘There are crewed or unscrewed yacht charters, bareboat or even a motorised yacht.’
- ‘Of the islands on our cruise itinerary, five struck me as ones I'd like to revisit in a bareboat.’
- ‘Most bareboat companies have staff captains you can hire for $100 to $200 a day.’
- ‘Brasoil would in turn make the upgraded vessel available for use by Petrobras under a bareboat sub-charter for the same period.’
- ‘La Paz and Loreto are home to a number of companies offering crewed trips as well as bareboat sailing charters.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.