Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Slip (liquid clay) used to decorate pottery.as modifier ‘barbotine decoration’‘the barbotine method’
- ‘The upper wall has barbotine decoration in the form of leaf scrolls on both sides running from handle to handle.’
- ‘A very colorful barbotine pitcher from the earthenware majolica factory of Monaco with floral motifs and a snake handle.’
- ‘Another smith, probably Vulcan, appears on a large cream vessel from Ashton, with the figures in low barbotine relief, details being picked out in dark bronze slip.’
- ‘After a few days, one withdraws the barbotine surplus to find the clearness of the drawing, it is the most critical phase.’
- ‘Plastic clay was used for the earlier barbotine tiles as it may have been thought that the design may well not adhere well to a dust-pressed body after firing.’
- ‘Thereafter the excess barbotine becomes diluted in the tank 11 and is discharged through the outlet 30 in order to be regenerated and recycled.’
- ‘With grey-green glaze on both the interior and exterior, the decoration en barbotine, the exterior with five vertical bands of conical projections.’
- ‘Less ambitious barbotine wares occur in the Danubian areas (especially Bulgaria) and in Egypt.’
- ‘The white slip was applied using the barbotine technique: liquid clay or slip was applied to the surface of the vase by squeezing it through a nozzle from a bag.’
- ‘In barbotine work, the decoration was either of the same or of a different colour from that of the ground.’
- ‘Only a small handful of barbotine pitchers seems to have been made primarily for use with absinthe, most are just general purpose water jugs, even if they have fairly small outlets.’
Mid 19th century: from French.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.