Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The craft of making small models of fruit or flowers from a plastic paste.
- ‘The Tangka, barbola and sculptures of Regong Art feature refined craftsmanship and skillfully blended vibrant colors.’
- ‘It is a palace of Regong art treasures, collecting and exhibiting various masterpieces of thangka, barbola, sculpture, and sand table design.’
- ‘The decorating patterns and means were enriched: carved design, scratched design, printed design, painted design, barbola, embossment and adoption of leaves and paper-cut barbola etc.’
- ‘Some of them specialize in thangka paintings, some barbola, and some clay sculpture.’
- ‘I am please to present a very unique and beautiful beveled barbola mirror, c.1930.’
1920s: an arbitrary formation from barbotine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.