One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- North American term for barbitone
- ‘A case of suicide involving the intravenous injection of barbital and the oral ingestion of arsenic trioxide is reported.’
- ‘The author performed immunoprecipitation with immunodiffusion, using Petri dishes that contained 15 ml of 1.2% agarose in a barbital buffer.’
- ‘Systemic and intracerebroventricular administration of sodium barbital induced a place preference in rats’
- ‘These results suggest that nifedipine potentiates the development of physical dependence on barbital but not diazepam.’
- ‘Effect of altered tissue binding on the disposition of barbital in the isolated perfused rat liver: application of the axial dispersion model.’
Early 20th century: from barbituric acid, on the pattern of veronal (an alternative name).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.