Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Ringworm of the face or neck communicated by unsterilized shaving apparatus.
- ‘A variant form of impetigo is called barber's itch because it is often acquired in barber shops.’
- ‘Pure sandalwood oil soothes chapped skin and barber's rash while comfrey, calendula, and aloe calm irritations.’
- ‘A couple of days and the barber's rash should clear up.’
- ‘In the days when men went to the barber daily for a shave, tinea barbae was called barber's itch.’
- ‘The condition of barber's itch itself is often confused with multiple ingrown hairs that often occur naturally in people.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.